Pages


Useful Links

Admin

St Pauls Church Whangaroa

High on the hill above Kent Bay in the Whangaroa Harbour stands St Pauls. For 125 years the church has stood firm and watched over events great and small that have occurred in the Bay.

When it was opened in March 1883 people came to Church by boat or walked over the hills to services. The only access from the waterfront was by countless steps and the ascent was steep. St Paul`s has witnessed the demise of the timber industry, fires that razed the school in front of it and Kent`s Store further along the Bay,the reclamation below and the building of the Whangaroa Big Gamefish Club clubrooms and the marina.

It's original 10 acre glebe was sold down to one acre in the fifties and road access to the Church was formed. It`s original kauri shingle roof was replaced with corrugated iron in 1926 and this was replaced with coloursteel in 2003. The building was repainted for the first time in the mid fifties and in 1975 a complete restoration was done after a successful appeal for funds. It was repainted again in 2007. In 2007 a walkway was constructed around the Cemetery and an ash berm was built.
These days the Church is supported by a small group of faithful worshippers who keep the Church alive for people who want to hold weddings or funerals there.

A service of Holy Communion is conducted by Rev. Margaret Williams on the first Sunday of the month at 9.00am. All are welcome.


Contact People
John Richardson  09 4076214
Elaine Vincent     09 4050353
Laura Hows         09 4074335 (Cemetery Enquiries)